Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Beginnings

Hi Everyone!

A lot has happened since I last posted. 
Some highlights: 

  • The Fellows returned from Venezuela, 
  • we presented the business plan we had created for the Youth Orchestra of the Lower 9th Ward,
  • and we, the 3rd class of Sistema Fellows (formerly Abreu Fellows) graduated!

The work we did for YOL9W was grounded in the community mapping I had done in the fall, outlined in this blog! Read some of my previous posts from October and November 2011 to find out more!

When the Fellows graduated, we each spoke a little about our experience in the Fellowship. I spoke about shaping your own future, and how the fellowship had given me the permission and the tools to craft my own path. I used this example of penmanship, created by myself when I was 9, to illustrate that point:


Most people think that all they are is all they've been. 

We are more than the sum of our experiences. We can choose to create new parts of ourselves, and new paths for us to travel in the future. Which brings me to my next announcement:

I am now the Director of the 
People's Music School'S YOURS Project in Chicago!

Check out this video that WTTW, Chicago's local PBS affiliate, did on the YOURS Project recently: YOURS Project | Chicago Tonight | WTTW

I visited this program over Thanksgiving, and was enamored with all the great work I saw while I was there. At that point, I had no idea it would even be a possibility for me to join the project. I am so excited to join the family. I began working with YOURS in June, listening and learning from everyone working with and within the project. After the successful completion of a month-long summer program, I spent the remaining summer working with the directors of our two nucleos dreaming and planning. Today is the day we've dreamed and planned for! Our nucleo at Monroe Elementary has launched! 

Today was the first day of the school year for the YOURS Project, and I am excited. I'm excited for the staff, for the schools, for the participants. I'm excited for the music and I'm excited for the growth. I will begin updating this blog regularly again, so follow along, it's going to be an adventure! 



No comments:

Post a Comment